Textures – 3

Some texture in nature this time. A shot of some grasses which caught my eye …

[EXIF: 1/50sec @ f/8; ISO 400; Sony ILCE-7R;Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA]

… and then the contrast between hard, straight trees and the leafy ground (with rather nice shadows too) …

[EXIF: 1/100sec @ f/9; ISO 400; Sony ILCE-7R; Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA]

… and of course, there had to be autumn leaves and colours.

Leafy textures

[EXIF: 1/200sec @ f/4; ISO 200; Sony ILCE-7R; Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS]

This entry was posted in Cardiff, Nature, Photography and tagged , , , , .

6 Comments

1. Jim Bartlett December 17, 2018 at 08:29 #

Photos don’t always have to be pretty of course, David, but I prefer these, particularly the leaves, to the one in Textures-2.
    Being a self-confessed pedant though, I am going to pick you up on your statement that they show ‘texture in nature’. An individual blade of grass, or tree trunk, will have texture, but not a crowd of them, I suggest. Texture for me is something I can feel with my fingers.

• David December 17, 2018 at 11:32 #

You sent me scurrying to definitions of texture, and I’m happy to agree with you – you are a self-confessed pedant! 🙂

Lots of examples of texture in nature, and lots of examples where the term texture is applied to a collection of like objects, or dissimilar objects that together give different textural representation. So, we’ll agree to disagree on this one – you can show texture in nature, and these shots, though not fantastic, attempt to do that I feel.

2. Yvonne December 17, 2018 at 16:49 #

Re Jim’s comment. To my way of thinking, if you can SEE texture then there IS texture, not just if you can feel it. Otherwise what is the point of having “texture” as a photographic subject? Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons!

• David December 17, 2018 at 17:11 #

Glad to gave an ally. You’re right of course 🙂

• Jim Bartlett December 20, 2018 at 08:57 #

It stands to reason, Yvonne. If you can’t see the texture you feel, then you can’t photograph it.

3. Jim Bartlett December 20, 2018 at 07:57 #

Hi Yvonne. It seems to me that if you think you are looking at texture, but when you touch the object you can’t feel it, then what you are looking at is a pattern of some sort, not a texture. Both can be subjects for photographs of course.