Langdale and a Rainbow

Langdale Pikes from Chapel Stile

Four shots with no connection between them. Above, a different view of the Langdale Pikes taken from above Chapel Stile.
[EXIF: 1/30 @f/16; ISO 200; Sony ILCE-7R; Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS @ 69mm]

Great Langdale, Chapel Stile

Above a farmhouse near Chapel Stile in Great Langdale.
[EXIF: 1/320 @f/8; ISO 200; Sony ILCE-7R; Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS @ 24mm]

Below Blea Tarn looking towards the Langdale Pikes.
[EXIF: 1/80 @ f/14; ISO 400; Sony ILCE-7R; Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS @ 37mm]

Blea Tarn and Langdale Pikes

And every trip needs a rainbow – doesn’t it? This one below taken from the Walna Scar Road above Coniston.
[EXIF: 1/500 @ f/8; ISO 200; Sony ILCE-7R; Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS @ 38mm]

Rainbow from Walna Scar Road, Coniston

This entry was posted in Landscape, Photography, Trips and tagged , , , , , , .

12 Comments

1. Marie-Christine Dalmaz November 9, 2018 at 10:49 #

David, my preferred is the last one with the various nuances of colours of the land, the rainbow seemingly pushing away the clouds.

• David November 9, 2018 at 12:31 #

Thanks Marie-Christine, I know what you mean, it was a strange surreal experience. It was raining most of the time as well, and just occasionally it stopped raining enough to pull the camera out, and then the rainbow appeared – splitting (as you say) the storm clouds from the land below. Glad you liked it.

2. Joe November 9, 2018 at 13:40 #

I very much like the first photo David. For me, it captures the call of the wild and the allure of the hills. Just makes me want to go and walk in them. I’ve been there on a number of occasions and recollect once on a very hot summer’s day swimming in Stickle Tarn, just behind the peaks – I also recollect it being rather craggy too. Lovely memories.

• David November 9, 2018 at 16:26 #

Great Joe. I like to bring back memories … mainly for me it has to be said, as the little grey-cells fail, but for my friends too! I didn’t care too much for the first one initially, but a few folk have said they like it which has caused me to re-appraise my thinking. It’s an unusual shot it has to be said. Not on the tourist routes.

3. Ros November 9, 2018 at 15:43 #

Great photos Dave.

• David November 9, 2018 at 16:23 #

Thanks Ros. Appreciate it! Guess you both know this area rather well!!!!!

4. Yvonne November 9, 2018 at 20:03 #

David, I really like all of these photos but in particular the first one is inviting me into that magical landscape captured so beautifully. It brings to mind the quotation from John Muir: “The mountains are calling and I must go” This says it all for me.

• David November 11, 2018 at 07:13 #

Thanks Yvonne. That photo seems to have pleased a few people, which as I’ve said before, somewhat surprised me, your poetry quote enhances it even further, I must say!

5. Son of Cheese November 9, 2018 at 21:57 #

First one is the best dad! Good work.

• David November 11, 2018 at 07:13 #

Thanks Pete.

6. Jim Bartlett November 12, 2018 at 06:58 #

I’m going to go for number two, David. (Three years with the photography group have taught me that my taste differs from most people’s. I tend to go for man-made subjects more than natural ones.) It’s a nice composition, with the tree on the left balancing the cottage on the right, which (incidentally?) is on the intersection of thirds. The line of rocks pointing to the tree helps.
    With the rainbow picture, I would be inclined to crop the top and left, to make the distant view more prominent.

• David November 12, 2018 at 07:05 #

I agree with you Jim! We stopped in a lane opposite this farmhouse for lunch, but I was the only one who saw merits in the shot. Yes, I was well aware of the rule of thirds as I composed and later cropped the shot. I of course liked it and, like the first one, I think it tells a different story of Langdale and the Lake District.

Not sure about a further crop of the rainbow shot, I’ll look at that.

No one seems to like Blea Tarn. I thought the composition, if not the light, was rather nice.