Spectacular sunsets

I couldn’t let the sunsets of this week wait until the sequence of scheduled shots that are due to appear on this blog over the next few weeks have finished, so please excuse this exceptional blog post of images with exceptional colours.

The first image was taken on Tuesday evening after Jenny phoned me and said “you must get out and take a photo”, why I hadn’t noticed what was happening, I can’t remember, but after taking a few in the street – which didn’t give the sunset any prominence, I went up to the loft and somehow managed to get my head and camera out the Velux window to capture this handheld.
[EXIF: 1/250sec @ f1.8, ISO 6400, Sony ILCE-7r; Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA @ 55mm]

Sunset on Caerphilly Mountain

I was better prepared for a repeat performance on Wednesday evening and went up on to Caerphilly Mountain to capture the image above. The sunset wasn’t perhaps as spectacular, and I may have packed-up the gear 5mins too soon, but it’s still rather a good shot I think.
[EXIF: 1/80sec @ f9, ISO 100, Sony ILCE-7r; Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA @ 55mm]

This entry was posted in Cardiff, Landscape, Photography, Urban and tagged , , .

7 Comments

1. Joe October 26, 2018 at 14:43 #

Wonderful David – lovely to have captured it. We too were stood in the street just in awe of the sky on fire. Fantastic with all the different colours of the autumnal trees.

• David October 26, 2018 at 15:08 #

Yep Joe, glad you saw it as well. If it hadn’t been for Jenny, I’d probably missed it as the desk in the loft points me eastwards, not westwards.

2. Yvonne October 26, 2018 at 15:01 #

Thanks for sharing, David. Spectacular sunsets beautifully captured. So envious – can’t see any from my home.

• David October 26, 2018 at 15:07 #

That’s such a shame. Our road is aligned roughly east-west so we get good spring and autumn sunsets; however the street furniture and cars rather spoil things – hence the trip “up the mountain”. There was a great picture on the “Cardiff Now and Then” Facebook page of Castell Coch – one that I’ll look out for another day. I’m also going to try and get a shot from the Thornhill Road bridge over the motorway one day with light-trails of the cars.

3. Diane October 27, 2018 at 16:50 #

Absolutely glorious Bro!!!

• David October 27, 2018 at 17:23 #

Thanks Di, balancing a heavy Velux window on my head for the sake of my art. It only occurred to me after just how dangerous that was!!!

4. Diane October 27, 2018 at 17:23 #